Top 5 Most Popular Murders/Killings in Taiwan

This list is in no particular order. There are a lot more that were not indicated in this list. These are just some of the most talked about, viewed or disturbing ones. If I have missed anything important please comment on the link below and I will try my best to update the list.

Man Decapitates Little Girl In front of Mother


A mother and daughter were on their way to a subway station in the Neihu District when the attacker grabbed the girl from behind as she rode her bike just a few feet away from her mother. He took his clever and started hitting the girl in the neck. Her mother desperately tried to stop the attacker, but was unsuccessful. He continued until he decapitated her.

Local TV footage showed a body covered with a white cloth on the pavement near the girl’s bike.

Police arrested a 33-year-old man following the attack, according to the government-run Central News Agency. The suspect was being treated for mental illness and already had an arrest record for drug crimes.

The suspect said he did not know the victim, police reported.

Hours following the attack and arrest, an angry crowd gathered in front of the police station where the suspect was being detained. Some in the crowd were waving baseball bats in preparation for a possible attack on the alleged killer.


Murder of Pai Hsiao-yen


Pai Hsiao-yen (simplified Chinese: 白晓燕; traditional Chinese: 白曉燕; pinyin: Bái Xiăoyàn; June 23, 1980 – April 20, 1997) was the only daughter of popular Taiwanese TV host and actress Pai Ping-ping and Japanese author Ikki Kajiwara.

Pai Hsiao-yen was missing after leaving for her school, Hsing Wu High School, on the morning of April 14, 1997. Her family received ransom request of $5,000,000 United States dollars ($7150704.81 when adjusted for inflation) along with a severed piece of her little finger and a photograph of a bound girl.

Press in Taiwan first reported the incident on April 23, 1997. However, after the abductors negotiated with the police for 11 days and changed the locations of payment more than 20 times, the police finally decoded the communication methods used by the abductors. In the subsequent police raid, one suspect was arrested while two other escaped after a serious gun fight with the police.

Pai Hsiao-yen’s mutilated body, weighted down with dumbbells, was found in a drainage ditch on April 25, 1997. Investigators said that she had been dead for ten days before her body’s discovery.

Ransom negotiations had continued after the likely time of Pai’s death; an impersonator placed a telephone call to give Pai Ping-ping the impression that her daughter was alive. Tim Healy and Laurie Underwood of Asiaweek said that Pai was “apparently tortured” before her death.

The photograph of her naked dead body was leaked to the mass media, including the China Times which printed it. In consequence to this, people in Taiwan protested against the mass media. Twelve accessories were arrested, but three main criminals, Chen Chin-hsing (T: 陳進興, S: 陈进兴, P: Chén Jìnxīng), Lin Chun-sheng (林春生 Lín Chūnshēng), and Kao Tien-min (高天民 Gāo Tiānmín) escaped. An island-wide manhunt began and police were ordered to shoot the suspects without warning if they showed any sign of resistance.

On August 19, the trio were spotted by two foot patrol police officers in a residential neighborhood. A brief exchange of fire ensued and Lin turned the gun on himself after he was shot six times; one of the officers was killed and the other one wounded. Lin died around 11:55 AM. Reinforcement was immediately rushed to the neighborhood, and more than 800 officers conducted a thorough search, which turned up nothing.

On October 23, Kao and Chen shot and killed a plastic surgeon, his wife, and a nurse after forcing them to perform plastic surgery on them. A few days later, Kao was spotted by the police and shot himself when police attempted to arrest him on November 17.

The last criminal, Chen Chin-hsing, broke into the residence of a South African military attaché and took the family hostage on November 18, but eventually surrendered to the police after negotiation initiated by politician Frank Hsieh. Chen was executed on October 6, 1999, after being convicted for kidnappings, murders, and multiple counts of sexual assaults.


February 28 Incident


On February 28, 1947, about two thousand people gathered in front of the Bureau of Monoply in Taipei to protest the brutal beating on a woman cigarette peddler and the killing of a bystander by the police on the previous evening. The Chinese Governor, Chen Yi responded with machine guns, killing several people on the spot. Uprisings erupted. What ensued were a series of massacres on the island by the troops sent from China by Chiang Kai-Shek resulting in the deaths of more than 30,000 Taiwanese people, followed by an era of white terror (arrests and mysterious disappearances of countless additional people) by the military police for decades….

Fifty years later today, Taiwan has evolved into a democratic country, thanks to those brave people who sacrificed their lives, blood and freedom to continue their relentless fight for democracy and human rights. Taiwanese people will forgive but will never forget such a tragic page of Taiwan’s history. In reconciliation with this painful past, they want to commemorate February 28 as the day of peace.


2014 Taipei Metro Attack


A university student wielding a knife attacked riders aboard a subway train in Taiwan’s capital on Wednesday, killing four people and injuring at least 21 others, police and local media said.

The seemingly random attack occurred at about 4 p.m. at the start of the evening rush hour aboard a train on Taipei’s Banqiao line, which leads to the city’s southwestern suburbs.

Photos showed the floor of one of the train’s cars and the adjacent station platform splattered with blood and strewn with backpacks, umbrellas and other items.

The government’s Central News Agency and other media described panicked passengers rushing from the train when it arrived at Jiangzicui station, shouting for those waiting on the platform to flee.

They said security guards quickly called police, who arrived within minutes and took the man into custody. They said the man reeked of alcohol.

“Everyone in the train was trying to run to the other side. No one tried to stop the criminal suspect,” a woman injured in the attack told reporters at a local hospital. The woman, who was stabbed in the hand, would only give her surname, Yen.

Pictures showed the attacker handcuffed sitting against a wall, his face covered in blood. He was dressed in white tennis shoes, black shorts and a red T-shirt.

A police spokesman, speaking on routine condition of anonymity, said police were preparing to charge the suspect with murder.

Speaking to reporters, Chen Kuo-en, the police chief of Xinbeishi, where Jiangzicui station is located, identified the attacker as a 21-year-old second-year student at Tunghai University in the central city of Taichung.

Chen said the man told police he had wanted to do something “shocking and big” and had plotted to carry out the attack from childhood. Chen said no other motive was presently known and the suspect had no record of mental health problems.

“He’s aware of the legal responsibility of his crime,” Chen said.

A Tunghai University official confirmed the suspect was a student there and said a school counselor had seen him in April after he posted a message on his Facebook page saying he “wanted to do something big this year.”

However, the matter was dropped after the counselor reported nothing unusual, said the spokesman, who declined to be further identified.

Chen said the suspect had grown up around the station and might have chosen it because of his familiarity with the area. He said he boarded the train two stations earlier and started stabbing passengers after it passed the first one.

Police said the man used a 3-inch knife in the attack, and was also carrying a second blade three times as long. Although the suspect had been drinking, a breath analysis test showed he was below the legal limit.

Police said a 47-year-old woman and two men, one in his 20s and the other in his 30s, were declared dead on arrival at hospital. A 62-year-old woman died in surgery four hours after the attack.

The suspect struck his victims in the chest and stomach and injured at least 21 others in the attack.


Guy Stabs Girlfriend 41 Times Caught On Video


Chang Yen-wen, 29, allegedly murdered his girlfriend, a 22-year-old kindergarten teacher Lin Pei-jen, with a cleaver on a street in Taipei, Taiwan Monday morning.

In this ambulance dash cam footage, the suspect kneels next to the victim’s body, stabbing the woman even after she’s dead. He reportedly stabbed her 41 times and removed her underwear during the attack.

Chang then turned the cleaver on himself. He suffered 27 wounds to the neck, 8 to the head, and 9 to the abdomen. Chang was arrested soon afterward.

Authorities said the victim met Chang on the internet six months ago. The pair had allegedly broken up recently, due to Chang’s violent tendencies. The break up may have fueled the attack. Chang told police he thought Lin had cheated on him while they were together.
(warning, video link)Source


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s